Chewy Granola Bars

 
My husband likes granola and the other day, while out grocery shopping, we succumbed temptation, and we bought some. I started nibbling at it myself, even though I didn't think I really cared for it much, (not as my husband, anyway) but I found myself going back to the box for more, until I started reading the ingredients and realized, this sweet treat wasn't quite the best choice for us as it had super high sugar content, (a bad culprit) among other things, so I decided to try and make some home-made granola bars instead.

Using ingredients like oats, nuts, dried fruits and seeds, I ended up with some really delicious granola bars. It was a breeze to make them and they taste way better than any store bought ones, my husband likes them and I feel better knowing all the ingredients I used to make them.

Hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do,

granola-bars5
Ingredients:
1-2/3 cups oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, cashew or almonds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup agave syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoon water

granola-bars6
Directions
In a large bowl, combine oats, whole wheat flour, salt and cinnamon; Stir to mix well.
Stir in cranberries, apricots, cherries, coconut, walnuts, (or other nuts you are using) pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds; set aside.

granola-bars4
 
In another bowl, whisk together coconut oil, maple syrup, agave syrup, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of water.  Add this to the oat and fruit mixture; stir to mix well adding the remaining water if needed to hold the mixture together.

granola-bars2

Pat into a greased 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges start to brown.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Cut into bars. Keep in an airtight container. 

granola-bars7

Makes: 18 bars
Enjoy!
Leia’s Culinary Treasures


Comments